Today I was talking to a client who was registering a domain for her new website. She wanted some tips on how to choose a domain name and what is good for SEO, so I thought I’d share my top five domain name choosing tips with you:
- Choose a domain name that is avaliable with your countrys TLD. For example if you’re in the UK then .uk, in spain .es and italy .it
- Choose a domain name that has the .com equivalent available (you should then 301 redirect this to your other domain).
- Include a keyword in your domain- for example if you sell children’s toys a domain like samstoystore.co.uk is much better for SEO than samsonline.co.uk
- Don’t make your domain too long- the domain should be memorable but not long, customers simply won’t type it and the search engines will truncate it.
- Don’t use hyphens or numbers- just use letters, hyphens don’t make a difference for SEO and make the domain hard for people to remember.